Do you have a conference question?
If I must cancel my conference registration, what should I do?
If you have to cancel your registration, you may do so up until September 30, 2020. Without exception, there is no refund after that date. In the event a presenter must cancel, there is no refund option regardless of date. Up until September 30, refunds will be given for all expenses for less a $25 administration fee.
Why is EMS meeting as a virtual conference this time?
Due to COVID-19 concerns our conference host (the International Linguistics Center) placed health safety as their top priority and decided to require social distancing that would have made our plenary space too limited. Our expectation is that we will return to meeting as a normal conference event once the crisis is past. For now, EMS will continue to move forward with full conference features but in a virtual format.
What will this EMS conference be like compared to prior years?
- We will have plenary speakers with hundreds of attendees,
- themed tracks to choose from,
- an Abstract Booklet to help you choose your favorite topics,
- recordings of all presentations you can listen to later,
- a conference schedule that looks very much like what we’ve used in prior years
- Presenters will still have 25 minutes to present followed by 10 minutes of Q&A from the audience.
- We will still have our annual business meeting at the end of the conference.
- Everything we normally have at EMS will be experienced in 9 virtual rooms.
- We will provide links to each one via the Conference Schedule.
- We will accommodate the conference to the Zoom format including Q&A, which will be done via the chat box in Zoom.
- We will meet Friday and Saturday only; there will be no meeting on Sunday.
- This year’s event is far less expensive! With fewer logistical costs, we passed the savings onto you by lowering registration fees. For example, Early Bird regular registration has dropped this year from last year’s price of $125 to $49. That’s super!
Do I still get my EMS member discount?
Yes! All EMS student members get a $10 discount applied to the regular $29 student price--$19 total. EMS regular members get a $20 discount applied to the regular $49 registration fee--$29 total cost. These are the best EMS national conference prices ever.
What is the “watch party” registration rate about?
This is new! While most registrants attend either solo or with their spouse, some people will want to host a group (profs inviting their class of students, for example). To qualify for the watch party rate, the watch party host agrees to gather his/her group to one physical location where everyone in that group will attend the conference together. That could be a classroom, home or anywhere else that puts all those attending in the same room. The idea is to let these groups experience EMS virtually but also with face-to-face interaction, networking in person and interacting with one another over food and fellowship. The watch party host promises NOT to forward his paid for link to the conference to others. The conference links paid for are for the watch party host and those who attend the conference in the watch party host’s presence. Make yourself an EMS party!
I don’t know how to use Zoom very well. What should I do?
We will give information to our attendees about using Zoom, enough to navigate the conference well and make sure you find your way to every topic you want to attend. As you register, we will ask you to self-identify as to your proficiency using Zoom and train registrants accordingly. Whatever your proficiency we will make sure you know everything necessary to enjoy the EMS conference. Really!
How can I find out which sessions to go to?
You will find a Conference Schedule here and the conference Abstract Booklet here. The Abstract Booklet gives a summary of each presenter’s topic to help you make informed decisions about which sessions will be of most interest to you.
You’re recording all the sessions? How do I get those?
Every session will be audio recorded throughout the conference. Those recordings will be uploaded to the EMS website within about a week following the conference. All EMS members and conference attendees will be sent instructions on how to access the audio files. You’ll also get free access to audio recordings from previous EMS conferences (over 400 topics)!
What are the exhibiting/sponsoring opportunities at EMS?
We have two unique opportunities this year.
- You will be given a 30 minute time slot in one of our nine breakout rooms during one of the coffee break times. You are free to use that time as you wish to showcase your organization and opportunities. Your reserved room is published in the Conference Schedule.
- Some schools may wish to use this opportunity to hold a reunion.
- Do you want to hold a regional gathering during a break time? This is where you’ll sign up to reserve an exhibitor slot to do so!
- You get to show a PowerPoint slide of your own making before each of the four plenary sessions.
- There will be a 45 minute time slot in one of our nine breakout rooms during one of the meal times. You are free to use that time as you wish to showcase your organization and opportunities. Your reserved room is published in the Conference Schedule.
- Upon request, your logo will be published on the EMS website to heighten your organization’s visibility.
- We will publicly recognize your sponsorship of EMS in the first plenary session.
- If you are a publisher, we will waive the sponsor fee. Ask us how!